Wilderness Therapy for Young Adults
Young Adult Program (ages 18-25)
Located in Oregon and North Carolina
Young Adults (Males and Females 18-25)
*Co-ed Groups Possible
Why New Vision Wilderness?
Our nationally recognized, individually tailored wilderness therapy programs lead the industry in specialized intervention services and relational model therapy as a catalyst for positive change in struggling young adults.
New Vision Wilderness (NVW) sets industry standards in therapeutic outdoor programming. NVW empowers the individual to improve decision-making skills and build healthier relationships. NVW works with the individual and the family. NVW provides an unparalleled wilderness experience while adhering to the highest standards of safety and individual attention. The emotional and physical safety of clients is the most important factor for our staff. We offer a “build them up” philosophy focusing on their strengths and encouraging growth in those areas. We utilize both adventure education and psychotherapy to create the change in clients and do not solely rely on a physical challenge regimen as the catalyst for change. NVW doesn’t rely on an outdated behavioral level system, favoring instead, a relationally focused treatment plan.
New Vision Wilderness is here for you and we want to specialize our program to your needs and your struggles. In the past our clients most commonly struggle with issues such as unresolved trauma histories, attachment/adoption distemper, anxiety, depression, dual diagnosis, low self-esteem or lack of motivation, legal problems, difficulties with decision making, anger management, bi-polar disorder, impulse control ADHD/ADD, OCD, eating disorders, and school attendance.
Highlights of the Young Adult Programming:
- Emotional and physical safety for our clients is the most important factor for our staff.
- Minimum length of Stay of 45 Days; average stay is between 6-10 weeks.
- At least 3 hours of intensive individual therapy per week and over 4+ hours of psychotherapeutic group oriented therapy.
- Access to clinical specialty staff 3 days per week.
- Brainspotting &EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitized Reprocessing)
- Adventure Education including backpacking, canoeing, white water rafting, fly fishing and much more…
- Intensive family communication sessions
- HeartMath somatic stress-testing
- Occupational development and knowledge/expertise growth
- Unique transitional services through our Y.E.T.I. program, or Young-adults, Emerging, Transitioning, and Integrating.
Y.E.T.I. (Young-adults, Emerging, Transitioning, and Integrating) – Unique Transitional Component (Currently Offered in Oregon)
Despite the robust efforts of clinicians in wilderness therapy, transition planning and follow through has always been a challenge. Our transitional services exist to integrate the therapeutic benefits of wilderness into the experience of transitioning into a community. Our transitional services consist of two main components outside of the wilderness.
Single day trips to the town of Bend, OR.
Pending approval from the management team, students become eligible for participation after 30 days.
Three to four day long trips taking place in different parts of Oregon.
Pending approval from the management team, students may be eligible to participate during the last few weeks of their process.
By providing supported and gradual exposure to town, Y.E.T.I’s transitional component specializes in the integration and continuation of emotional and behavioral growth shaped in wilderness.
Participants utilize the wilderness foundation to practice transitioning skills through grocery shopping, building resumes, mock interviews, attending support groups in the community, visiting the library, using public transportation, and volunteering.
The purpose of our Community Integrations and Peak Expeditions are to offer emerging adults in wilderness therapy a supported transition that integrates newly acquired skills, relationships, and a positive sense of self into life beyond the woods.
Wilderness is an optimal setting for Adventure Education. Our Adventure Education program helps individuals learn about personal growth and relationships by presenting achievable challenges, setting goals, and processing experiences in a group setting. New Vision Wilderness utilizes hiking and trauma sensitive yoga as a means to reduce stress and depression, stimulate the brain, and allow individuals to process emotions at higher capacities. In addition to the Adventure Education embedded in the daily structure of New Vision Wilderness, we have specialized experiences encompassing rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, and cross-country skiing. While focusing on communicating and incorporating all five senses, Adventure Education also encourages participants to engage in healthy lifestyles!
Our family interventions are focused on increasing family cohesion through exploring and resolving elements of the past, and building strong family ties.
Trauma Informed Care (TIC) Model:
A true Trauma Informed Care model welcomes all levels of care including training in stress responses for all line staff. At New Vision Wilderness, there is an even stronger emphasis on clinical trauma training of the clinical team who compose deep interventions to effectively manage stress in the field. Our model is the result of many years of experience and a collaborative team approach…created, maintained, and updated by a team of highly experienced professionals.
- Contact our Admissions Team at 855.689.8326. We are excited to learn more about your child and to discuss if New Vision Wilderness is the right fit.
- Visit our admissions page to begin the online application by clicking “Online Registration” link below. This provides the Admissions Team and Administrative Office with basic information. An Admissions Counselor will contact you within 24 hours.
- Receive the Admission Packet from your Admissions Counselor or the Administrative Office.
- Fax, e-mail, or mail completed Admission Packet to New Vision Wilderness. Visit our contact page for complete contact information here.
“Thanks to New Vision, I was able to work through many of my issues preventing me from being a productive member of society. I’m grateful for my experiences and those who’ve helped me along the way.” – 22 yr. old male client
How To Contact New Vision
To speak to a team member, please fill out the CONFIDENTIAL form below. A team member will contact you within 24 hours.