Northwoods Wilderness Therapy is accredited through Cognia and offers options for academic credits. While in treatment, most students earn credits in physical education and health. Opportunities for language arts, environmental science, psychology, and independent study credits are also available. Academic programming at Northwoods is designed to be woven into the student’s therapeutic immersion experience. Students are not pulled out of group for classroom time, rather lessons are incorporated into daily activities and intermittent independent reflection time.
Did you know that students have the opportunity to complete nearly a full semester’s worth of academic work in treatment?
- All students complete 1 semester of Physical Education and 1 semester of Health or Psychology
- Students may also earn credits for 1 semester of Language Arts and 1 semester of Environmental Science
- All students work on a Mastery Project of their choosing which may earn 1 semester of elective credit.
- New Vision Academy is accredited through Cognia
Academic programming at Northwoods is intentionally designed to be woven into the student’s therapeutic immersion experience.
Students are not pulled out of group for classroom time, rather, lessons are incorporated into daily activities and intermittent independent reflection time.
Every season brings with it opportunities for adventure in at Northwoods! Seasonal activities include:
- Rock Climbing
- Northern Lights Curriculum
- Fall Foraging
- Snow Shoeing
- Special Trip to Lake Superior
Creating joy and building confidence are important experiences in treatment. Our seasonal activities provide opportunities for simultaneous learning and fun!
Together with our trauma-informed, attachment focused, relational clinical approach seasonal activities facilitate the transformative healing that students and families need.