Teen Program (single gender groups ages 13-17)
Teen students experience an individualized program structured to their stage in life. Fostering strengths and improving upon weaknesses allows your son or daughter to focus their intervention, treatment, academics, family involvement, and mastery.
Why New Vision Wilderness?
Our nationally recognized, individually tailored wilderness therapy programs lead the industry in specialized intervention services and relational model therapy as a catalyst for positive change in struggling adolescents.
Our Teen Students:
New Vision Wilderness is here for you and we want to specialize our program to help your needs and your struggles. In the past our teen students most commonly struggle with issues such as unresolved trauma histories, attachment/adoption distemper, anxiety, depression, dual diagnosis, low self-esteem or lack of motivation, legal problems, difficulties with decision making, anger management, bi-polar disorder, impulse control ADHD/ADD, OCD, eating disorders, and school attendance.
New Vision Wilderness (NVW) sets industry standards in therapeutic outdoor programming. NVW empowers the individual to improve decision-making skills and build healthier relationships. NVW works with the individual and the family. NVW provides an unparalleled wilderness experience while adhering to the highest standards of safety and individual attention. The emotional and physical safety of students is the most important factor for our staff. We offer a “build them up” philosophy focusing on their strengths and encouraging growth in those areas. We utilize both adventure education and psychotherapy to create the change in students and do not solely rely on a physical challenge regimen as the catalyst for change. NVW doesn’t rely on an outdated behavioral level system, favoring instead, a relational focused treatment plan.
Highlights of the Teen Wilderness Programming:
- Emotional and physical safety for our students/your youth is the most important factor for our staff.
- Average length of stay is between 10-12 weeks.
- Intensive individual therapy each week in addition to psychotherapeutic group-oriented therapy.
- Access to clinical specialty staff 3 days per week.
- Adventure Education including backpacking, mountaineering, white water rafting, fly fishing and much more…
- Intensive family communication sessions
- HeartMath somatic stress-testing
- Continuing care options available
New Vision Wilderness strives to support the academic process of our teen students by proving experiential learning and credit transfer to support the continuation of their education. Click here to find out more.
Families speak with their child’s therapist weekly and also have an in-person family therapy session during their child’s stay to assist in building strong family ties.
Trauma Informed Care (TIC) Model:
A true Trauma Informed Care model welcomes all levels of care including training in stress responses for all line staff. At New Vision Wilderness, there is an even stronger emphasis on clinical trauma training of the clinical team who compose deep interventions to effectively manage stress in the field. Our model is the result of many years of experience and a collaborative team approach…created, maintained, and updated by a team of highly experienced professionals.
Wilderness is an optimal setting for Adventure Education. Our Adventure Education program helps individuals learn about personal growth and relationships by presenting achievable challenges, setting goals, and processing experiences in a group setting. New Vision Wilderness utilizes hiking and trauma sensitive yoga as a means to reduce stress and depression, stimulate the brain, and allow individuals to process emotions at higher capacities. In addition to the Adventure Education embedded in the daily structure of New Vision Wilderness, we have specialized experiences encompassing rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, and cross country skiing. While focusing on communicating and incorporating all five senses, Adventure Education also encourages participants to engage in healthy lifestyles!
- Contact our Admissions Team at 855.421.6717. We are excited to learn more about your child and to discuss if New Vision Wilderness is the right fit.
- Visit our admissions page to begin the online application by clicking “Online Registration” link below. This provides the Admissions Team and Administrative Office with basic information. An Admissions Counselor will contact you within 24 hours.
- Receive the Admission Packet from your Admissions Counselor.
- Fax, e-mail, or mail completed Admission Packet to New Vision Wilderness. Visit our contact page for complete contact information here.